911 Dispatch Jobs
911 dispatch job search resources and preparation materials.
Frequently asked questions about 911 dispatcher positions.
A general description of basic job duties performed by dispatchers.
Ace your upcoming exam with our preparation materials for 911 dispatcher testing.
Frequently Asked Questions About 911 Dispatch Jobs
What are the education requirements for a job in 911 dispatch?
911 dispatcher jobs vary regarding educational requirements, but often simply require a high school education. Applicants will be required to pass a basic skills examination that assesses a variety of essential skills.
Where can I find a 911 dispatcher school?
Applicants for dispatcher positions will receive specialized training after hire. Applicants who desire to improve their performance on entry-level exams should seek out exam preparation resources specific to the test being used by a particular agency. Learn more about IOS preparation materials for the 911 dispatch test.
Basic Duties of 911 Dispatchers
Dispatch duties can vary depending on the situation, but some basic components of this position include:
• Gathering and recording important information from callers to determine name, location, nature of emergency, and necessary response.
• Monitoring computer systems to determine and dispatch appropriate units that are available.
• Relaying necessary emergency information to appropriate sites, personnel, and agencies.
• Maintaining files, call records, and information relating to emergency calls and other highly sensitive materials.
• Interpreting and relaying directions to responders.
• Providing appropriate emergency medical instructions to callers.
• Passing required certification tests.
911 Dispatch jobs require skills such as:
• Excellent communication skills
• Ability to listen and comprehend information shared by others
• Ability to use logic and reasoning in recognizing solutions and conclusions to problems
• Maintaining files, call records, and information relating to emergency calls and other highly sensitive materials
• Ability to operate a variety of office machines
The dispatch duties at a response center can vary, but are best suited for people with good communication skills and the ability to work in stressful conditions. This position is a critical piece to successful responses in any emergency situation.
Call 888.784.1290 or fill out the form below to speak with a representative.
Questions? Contact Us!