Wheaton Police Department
Police Officer Job Application
Application Deadline: Friday, May 29, 2020 at 2:00 PM
About Wheaton Police Department:
The Wheaton Police Department is comprised of 67 sworn officers providing police services to the community. The officers strive to ensure the safety of life and property while adhering to the highest principles and values of our profession. Our motto remains “to protect and to serve the 53,000 residents of this dynamic community.”
The City of Wheaton offers full-time police officers an outstanding benefit package that includes medical plans, dental, and life insurance. Additional benefits include paid vacation days and special pays which include special duty payments, deferred compensation plans, flexible spending account, and the Police Pension Fund.
- Starting Salary: As of May 1, 2019 – $67,520.61- May 1, 2020 negotiations pending
- Vacation: Vacation = 10 days/year 1st 4 years; 15 days/year 5th year + 1 day additional, each year thereafter up to 25 days/year max.
- Holiday Pay: Received in November of each year = 10 holidays.
- Uniform: $650 annually after original uniforms are issued + $325 annually toward uniform cleaning.
- Dental Insurance Program: Delta Dental Insurance – PPO and HMO Plan Options.
- Health Insurance: Blue Cross Blue Shield Health Insurance – PPO and HMO Plan Options
- Life Insurance: $50,000
Opportunities for Career Advancement:
In addition to operating in a full time designated capacity, the Wheaton Police Department identifies qualified officers for the following specialized assignments:
- Juvenile Officer
- Field Training Officer
- Evidence Technician
- Accident Investigator
- Crisis Intervention Team
- Bicycle Patrol
- Training Cadre
- Honor Guard
- Warrant Team
- Fitness Trainer
- Range Master
- DuCart (DuPage County Accident Reconstruction Team)
- Recruitment Team
- MERIT (Metropolitan Emergency Response & Investigation Team)
- NARCINT (Drug Task Force)
- School Liaison Officer
- Traffic Unit
- Cell Phone Forensic Examiner
- Community Relations and Training Officer
- DuPage County SWAT Team
- Weapons of Mass Destruction Team
- $30 non-refundable application fee
- U.S. citizenship
- Applicant must have a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college/university by date of hire
- Those graduating in Spring of 2020 have until the exam date to submit final transcripts, a letter from the registrar on school letterhead, or equivalent document, stating that they have or are on track to successfully complete their Bachelor’s degree.
- Possess a valid driver’s license, which will be used for identification at all phases of testing
- Be at least 20 years of age and under 35 at time of application deadline, unless exempt by state statute
- Must have corrected vision to 20/20
- If a veteran of the military or currently serving, include a copy of your DD-214
- If applicable, please include your POWER test card if issued between 5/29/2019- 5/29/2020. If you do not possess a POWER Card at time of orientation, you must complete the POWER test on test day, prior to the written examination
Required documentation due Friday, May 29, 2020 by 2:00 p.m. (not accepted via email or fax; documentation must be hand delivered or mailed)
- Confirmed Online Application (available after purchase)
- Character Reference Forms (pages 1-3; available after purchase)
- Authorization & Release Forms (pages 4-8; available after purchase)
- Copy of valid driver’s license
- Copy of birth record as proof of citizenship – can include: U.S. County/State birth certificate, U.S. Passport, or Naturalization papers
- Original/Official transcripts indicating attainment of Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university or for those graduating in Spring of 2020 have until exam date to submit final transcripts, a letter from the registrar on school letterhead, or equivalent document, stating that they have or are on track to successfully complete their Bachelor’s degree.
- Copy of POWER card if issued between 5/29/2019- 5/29/2020
- Copy of DD-214 (if applicable)
Orientation, Physical Ability Test and Written Exam Information:
Candidates must attend the mandatory orientation, physical ability test, and written examination on Sunday, June 28, 2020.
Doors will open at 7:30 AM for candidates who do not possess a POWER Card and must complete the POWER Test. POWER test cards are considered valid if issued within twelve (12) months PRIOR to the application deadline (5/29/2019- 5/29/2020).
Doors open at 8:45 AM and candidates should arrive with valid photo identification (valid Driver’s License or State ID) and their POWER Card to sign in. If you do not possess a POWER Card at time of orientation, you must complete the POWER Test prior to the written examination.
Orientation begins at 9:35 AM and the written exam will immediately follow. Candidates arriving after 9:30 AM will NOT be permitted to test. Candidates are not allowed to leave the testing grounds.
The test will be held at:
Wheaton North High School
701 W. Thomas Rd.
Wheaton, IL 60187.
All portions of the testing process are mandatory. Failure to attend and successfully complete any portion of the process will result in elimination from employment consideration.
Application Process Information:
When you have completed the online application you will receive a confirmation number. You will also need to print and sign the required release forms and gather the required documentation (listed above) for submission to IOS Recruitment by 2:00 p.m. on 5/29/2020. Failure to complete any portion of the application process with eliminate you for further consideration.
No refunds are issued for incomplete or late applications!