Wheaton Fire Department
Firefighter Job Application
Application Deadline: Friday, January 10, 2020 at 2:00 PM
About Wheaton Fire Department:
The Wheaton Fire Department delivers comprehensive services that are designed on an all-hazards approach responding to approximately 6,000 service requests per year; approximately 4,000 of which are requests for emergency medical services. The other requests include responses to structure fires, automatic fire alarms, outside fires, vehicle fires, technical rescues, and other service-related calls such as smoke or electrical investigations. The Wheaton Fire Department has an ISO Fire Suppression Rating of 2 out of 10 (with 1 being the best possible rating). This rating, which is issued by the ISO advisory organization, takes into account factors such as water distribution and fire department equipment and is used primarily by the property and casualty insurance industry. Wheaton’s Fire Department, under direction of the Fire Chief and 4 Assistant Fire Chiefs includes:
- 35 full- time firefighters
- 19 full- time contracted paramedics, and
- 4 part- time/contractual support staff members
The City of Wheaton offers full- time firefighters an outstanding benefits package that includes medical plans, dental, and life insurance
Wheaton Fire Department Services:
- Fire Suppression
- Hazardous Materials
- Technical Rescue
- Emergency Medical
- Risk Prevention
- Community Education
- Disaster preparedness/management
- $30 non-refundable application fee;
- U.S. Citizenship;
- Must meet the following education requirement with grade of “C” or better from an accredited college/university:
- Associate’s degree,
- 48 completed semester hours,
- 60 completed quarter hours;
- Valid driver’s license with the ability to obtain an Illinois driver’s license before hire;
- Must be 20 years of age and under 35 at time of application deadline, unless exempt by state statute;
- No felony convictions
- Illinois certified Firefighter II/Basic Operations Firefighter with the Illinois Office of the State Fire Marshal by application deadline;
- Must have current and valid Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) EMT-Basic License (or higher), by application deadline and maintain through hire*;
- Must possess a current and valid CPAT/Ladder Climb card at time of written exam (2/1/2020). Cards will be considered valid if issued within one year of the written exam(2/1/2019- 2/1/2020). Must also be valid at time of conditional offer*.
- NIPSTA (Northeastern Illinois Public Safety Training Academy) – Glenview, IL –www.nipsta.org or 847-998-8090.
- SUFD (Southwest United Fire Districts) – Darien, IL – www.sufd.org or 708-579-206
- Naperville CPAT Program – Naperville, IL – firstname.lastname@example.org or 630-420-675
*Note: It is the responsibility of the candidate to make sure their CPAT is up to date and includes the Ladder Climb. Any candidate NOT possessing a valid CPAT card with Ladder Climb and a current Illinois Licensed EMT-B “at the time of conditional offer” will be disqualified.
Required documentation due Friday, January 10, 2020 by 2:00 PM (not accepted via email or fax; documentation must be hand delivered or mailed)
- Confirmed Online Application (available after purchase)
- Consent and Release Agreement (1 page)
- Character Reference Forms (pages 1-3; available after purchase)
- Authorization & Release Forms (pages 4-7; available after purchase)
- Copy of valid driver’s license
- Copy of birth record as proof of citizenship
- Original/Official transcripts- must indicate attainment of an Associate’s Degree, 48 completed semester hours, or 60 completed quarter hours with a “C” or above, from an accredited college/university. *Unofficial transcripts are not accepted.
- Copy of IDPH EMT- Basic (or higher)
- Copy of Firefighter II/Basic Operations Certification issued by the IL Office of the State Fire Marshal (OSFM)
- Copy of a valid CPAT and Ladder Climb certification- due by date of written exam- will be considered valid if issued between 2/1/2019- 2/1/2020
Orientation, Physical Ability Test and Written Exam Information:
Candidates must attend the mandatory orientation and written examination on Saturday, February 1, 2020. Doors will open for sign in at 7:30 AM and orientation will begin at 8:00 AM with the written exam immediately following. Candidates arriving after 8:00 AM will not be permitted to test. Candidates should arrive with a photo identification (valid drivers license or state ID) AND a copy of a a valid CPAT and Ladder Climb Certification (if not previously submitted) to sign in.
The test will be held at:
Monroe Middle School
1855 Manchester Rd.
Wheaton, IL 60187.
Application Process Information:
When you have completed the online application you will receive a confirmation number. You will also need to print and sign the required release forms and gather the required documentation (listed above) for submission to IOS Recruitment by 2:00 p.m. on 1/10/2020. Failure to complete any portion of the application process with eliminate you for further consideration.
No refunds are issued for any reason!