South Holland Fire Department
Firefighter Job Application
Monday, December 4, 2023, at 4:00 p.m.
Starting 2023 Pay for FF/EMT-B: $55,000
Starting 2023 Pay for FF/Paramedic: $71,314
- $25 non-refundable application fee*
- Applicants must be 21 years of age at the date of the written test. No person who is 35 years of age or older shall be eligible to take the written test unless exempted per state statute (65 IL5/10-220.127.116.11). Exemptions to exceed the maximum age limit are allowed for military service and volunteer, paid-on-call, part-time, and full-time firefighters meeting certain conditions.
- U.S. Citizenship (Must meet I-9 requirements)
- High School Diploma or equivalent (GED)
- Valid Driver’s License due at time of appointment
- Current Illinois or National Registry EMT-B License due at the application deadline. Applicants must obtain their EMT-P (Paramedic) License by the end of their probationary period (2 Years). A Paramedic License is preferred at time of hire. Candidates are required to successfully test into Illinois Region 7 – South Cook County EMS System
- Successful completion of the Candidate Physical Ability Test with Ladder Climb Certification conducted by a licensed agency due at time of conditional offer of hire. CPAT testing must be completed no earlier than 1 year from conditional offer.
- Candidates are required to obtain Basic Certified Firefighter Certification from Illinois OSFM during their probationary period.
- Employees must reside within a twenty-mile radius of South Holland’s Village Hall or a municipality whose border is touched by the twenty-mile radius within 1 year of the date of their hire.
- Must achieve a passing score on the written examination. This requires attaining a score that is at or above the median score for all applicants participating in the written test. Written test must be completed by January 12, 2024
- At the time a candidate accepts a conditional offer of employment he or she shall be subject to a background investigation including oral interview, written integrity test, NFPA 1582 Physical, comprehensive drug evaluation and psychological and polygraph evaluations.
*The application fee may be waived for applicants experiencing financial hardship. For more information please email re*********@io*********.com
Required Documentation due by 4:00 p.m. on December 4, 2023 – must be mailed or hand-delivered (email submissions not accepted):
- Confirmed online application – available after purchase
- Consent and release agreement – available after purchase
- South Holland release forms and waivers – available after purchase
- Copy of valid driver’s license
- Copy of high school diploma/GED
- Copy of birth record as proof of citizenship – U.S. County/State Issued birth record, a copy of a valid U.S. Passport, or a copy of naturalization papers will be accepted
- Copy of a valid IDPH or National EMT – B or Paramedic license
- Optional copy of a valid CPAT and Ladder Climb certification (due at time of conditional offer)
- Optional copy of IL OSFM Firefighter II/Basic Operations Certification (must be obtained during probationary period)
- Optional copy of preference point form and any required supporting paperwork – available after purchase
- Copy of Military DD-214 (if applicable)
Mandatory Written Exam:
The exam will be offered electronically, and you will take the exam in your own home. There will be multiple sessions offered and each will be proctored virtually. All sessions will be offered during business hours the week of January 8, 2024 – it is your responsibility to ensure you have the flexibility to test during these times. In late December you will receive an email with instructions on how to schedule and prepare for the exam.
Candidates who require ADA accommodations must contact IOS Recruitment at least two weeks prior to the written exam date. All portions of the testing process are mandatory. Failure to attend and successfully complete any portion of the process will result in elimination from employment consideration.
Application Process Information:
Once you complete the online application, you will receive a confirmation number. You will also need to print and sign the required release forms and gather the required documentation listed above for submission to IOS Recruitment by 4:00 p.m. on December 4, 2023. Failure to complete any portion of the application process will eliminate you from further consideration. No refunds are issued for incomplete or late applications.
All communications will come from re*********@io*********.com. Be sure to add us to your address book and check your inbox (including spam folder) often for important notifications.