Firefighter Job Application
Starting salary for EMT-B: $55,668.50
Starting salary for EMT-P: $61,077.79
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED)
- United States citizen
- Valid driver’s license
- Must be 21 years of age and must not have reached your 35th birthday as of October 7, 2022
- A minimum of a valid EMT-B license issued by the Illinois Department of Public Health (“IDPH”) as of October 7, 2022 (Any license under suspension or review by the IDPH at the time of the close of applications shall be deemed to be an invalid license
- Certification as an EMT-P (paramedic) shall be required as a condition of continued employment for a firefighter. All original appointments to the fire department shall be for a probationary period of twelve (12) months, except that such probationary period may be extended for a firefighter until the firefighter is certified as an EMT-P. The sole reason that a firefighter may be discharged without a hearing is for failing to meet the requirements of such certification.
- A valid CPAT (Candidate Physical Ability Test) with the application. CPATs are considered valid if dated 10/7/2021 – 10/7/2022.
- Any applicant who has not been appointed to a firefighter position within one year after the date of his or her CPAT certification may be required to obtain another valid CPAT certificate prior to appointment. If such applicant fails to obtain a valid CPAT certification when required, the Board may allow such application to remain on the register one time only and select another applicant. If the applicant does not obtain a valid CPAT certification when offered employment again, the Board shall strike the applicant from the Register. Applicants bear the responsibility to submit a copy of the valid license and any other proof the Board requires. The Board reserves the right to strike or pass over a person on the list who does not possess a valid license at the time of appointment.
- Residency is not required for this position
Required Documentation due by 2:00 p.m. (CST) on 10/7/2022 (no faxes/emails accepted):
- Online Application – available after download
- Consent and Release Form (5 pages) – available after download
- Criminal History Form (1 page) – available after download
- Copy of high school diploma or GED
- Copy of valid driver’s license
- Copy of birth record or authorization to work in U.S. – can include: U.S. county/state-issued birth record, U.S. passport, or naturalization papers
- Copy of valid IDPH EMT- B or EMT – P
- Copy of CPAT certification issued between 10/7/2021 – 10/7/2022
- Copy of Military DD-214 or service discharge (if applicable)
Testing and Orientation Information:
The Board will begin the testing process with a MANDATORY Orientation immediately preceding the written exam Monday, November 7, 2022, at 5:30 p.m. at Ottawa City Hall, 301 West Madison Street, Ottawa, Illinois. Failure to attend this orientation will prevent further application. The written exam will be immediately following the orientation. The oral interview will be conducted on November 17, 2022.
Application Process Information:
When you have completed the online application you will receive a confirmation number. You will also need to print and sign the required release form and gather required documentation (listed above) for submission to IOS Recruitment by 2:00 p.m. (CST) on 10/7/2022. Failure to complete any portion of the application process will eliminate you for further consideration.
All communications will come from IOS via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to add us to your address book and check your inbox (including spam folder) frequently for time sensitive notices.