Starting Entry Level Pay: $80,396 – Top Pay (after 15 years): $120,978.57
** There is an additional 1% educational stipend above the base salary for officers that have attained a Baccalaureate degree from an accredited university that has been accredited by one of the six regional institutional accrediting associations in the United States. **
Police Officer Minimum Requirements:
- Valid Driver’s license
- Applicants must be less than 35 years of age by the date of first testing. The 35-year old maximum age restriction is subject to the exemptions found in 65 ILCS 5/10-2.1-6 (as may be amended from time to time), which currently include but are not limited to: (a) veterans by the number of years they have served on active duty, but by no more than 10 years of active military duty; (b) person previously employed as a police officer in a regularly constituted police department of any state municipality; (c) person who have served as an auxiliary police officer under Section 3.1-30-20 for as least 5 years and are under 40 years of age; (d) persons who have served as deputy under Section 3-6008 of the Counties Code and otherwise meet necessary training requirements; and (e) persons who have served as a sworn officer as a member of the Illinois Department of State Police.
- Must be at least 21 years of age by the date of first testing. The 21-year minimum age requirement does not apply to an applicant (a) who is 20 years of age and (b) who has successfully completed two years of law enforcement studies at an accredited college or university and who is otherwise eligible to take the initial examination for police officer. No applicant who is appointed to active duty shall have the power of arrest or be permitted to carry a firearm until he reaches 21 years of age.
- Proof regarding the POWER test card: Submission of a POWER test certification card is valid for two years proceeding the date of the application. They must be dated 12/28/2021 – 12/28/2023. POWER test certification cards are accepted from the below licensed agencies or as approved by the Board of Fire and Police Commissioners:
- U.S. Citizenship
- Must have ONE of the following:
- At least 60 semester (90 quarter) hours of credit from a college or university accredited by one of the six regional accrediting bodies responsible for evaluating two and four year institutions that grant associate’s or bachelor’s degrees
- At least 30 semester (45 quarter) hours from a college or university accredited by one of the six regional accrediting bodies responsible for evaluating two and four-year institutions that grant associate’s or bachelor’s degrees AND one (1) year of continuous active military duty in the armed forces of the United States
- Four (4) years of continuous active military duty in the armed forces of the United States
- Current service as a police officer certified by the State of Illinois and actively working for not less than two (2) years for a regularly constituted police department of an Illinois municipality
***Please note that you must meet one of the four minimum requirement options as listed above. Applicants are not permitted to submit 1 required item of their choosing from two separate categories.***
Required Documentation due 12/28/2023 at 4:00 PM:
- Completed online application (available after download)
- Consent and release agreement (available after download)
- Copy of valid driver’s license
- Copy of birth record as proof of citizenship; may include: county/state issued birth record, passport, naturalization papers
- Copy of valid POWER test card – must not be dated any later than 12/28/2023
- One of the following:
- 1) Original, official College/University Transcripts showing 60 semester hours – copies of diplomas are not accepted in lieu
- 2) Original, official College/University Transcripts showing 30 semester hours and DD-214 showing one (1) year of continuous active duty – copies of diplomas are not accepted in lieu of transcripts
- 3) DD-214 showing four (4) years of continuous active duty
- 4) Copy of Law Enforcement Officer Certificate and letter from current employer.
All communications will come from re*********@io*********.com. Be sure to add us to your address book and check your inbox (including spam folder) often for important notifications.